- This month’s Nature Artists’ Guild paint-out is scheduled for Thursday, June 22, 2017 from 9 am until noon in the Ground Cover Garden of The Morton Arboretum. Please click on the highlighted link for details.
- A Nature Artists’ Guild Special Exhibit, Impressions of Nature, at A Gallery of Nature opens at Wasco Nursery and Garden Center in St. Charles, IL this Friday, June 23, 2017. Participating artists should drop off their work on Tuesday, June 20 between 11 am and 1 pm. All are invited to attend a public reception on Saturday, July 22, 2017 between 3 and 5 pm to meet the artists, enjoy some light refreshments, view 30 works of nature art and observe a few of the artists engaging in the creative process. Please click on the above highlighted link for driving directions and more information.
- The Summer Encounter – Nature Artist’s Journal is well underway, but members can still join in. More details are available by clicking on this link.
- The next Nature Artists’ Guild program is scheduled for Thursday, August 3, 2017. More information coming soon about what promises to be a fun and informative evening!
A living carpet of foliage and flowers graces The Morton Arboretum’s Ground Cover Garden, linking the Visitor Center to the Research Center and the Sterling Morton Library.
The original garden was built in 1938. It is one of the more densely planted and diverse gardens in the Arboretum, with over 350 different plants amid shady, winding paths with strategically placed benches that allow visitors to enjoy a moment of seclusion and tranquility.
The Ground Cover Garden consists of perennial plants and ground covers chosen to complement trees and shrubs, blanketing the ground with a wonderful assortment of attractive flowers and foliage.
Those members participating in the 2017 Summer Encounter can use this opportunity to add to their Nature Artist’s Journal. All others can simply enjoy a morning of sketching, painting and photographing in a setting fit for an Impressionist.
Nature Artists’ Guild members are encouraged, but not required, to RSVP to Jane Kellenberger for this paint-out. Jane’s contact information can be found in their Yearbook. Artists may consider bringing a folding chair (although a few benches may be available for use) along with their art supplies, something to drink and a camera.
With rain expected tomorrow, the Nature Artists’ Guild paint-out at the Gardens at Cantigny Park has been rescheduled to the rain date, Thursday, May 25, 2017. Participants can meet at the Visitors Center at 9 am, or join the group in the gardens any time before noon.
Please click on the above highlighted link for more information about the paint-out.
- The paint-out at The Gardens at Cantigny Park has been rescheduled for Thursday, May 25, 2017 (originally scheduled for Tuesday, May 23, but changed due to weather concerns). Please contact Jane Kellenberger if there are any questions. You can also click on this link for more information.
- Prospectuses (which were e-mailed in late April) for this summer’s Nature Artists’ Guild Special Exhibit, Impressions of Nature, at A Gallery of Nature at Wasco Nursery and Garden Center in St. Charles, IL are due on Saturday, May 27, 2017. Please contact Gary Chipman if there are any questions.
- The Summer Encounter begins on June 1, 2017. 30 Nature Artists’ Guild members have already agreed to try to get outdoors this summer to create a Nature Artist’s Journal. Check your e-mail for details and contact Evelyn Grala if there are any questions.
- On the evening of June 1, 2017, the Nature Artists’ Guild welcomes Marge Hall and her Floral Portraits to the Thornhill Education Center of The Morton Arboretum. Guests and visitors are also welcome to attend this free presentation. Please click on this link for more details.
Nature Artists’ Guild members will find contact information for Jane, Gary, and Evelyn in their Yearbook.
Update – due to weather concerns, the paint-out has been rescheduled to the rain date of Thursday, May 25, 2017.
Some paint-out locations are just so enjoyable that we can’t wait to go back for more!
On Tuesday, May 23, 2017, Nature Artists’ Guild members are invited to attend a paint-out at the wonderful Gardens at Cantigny Park, 1S151 Winfield Road in Wheaton, IL between 9 am and noon. As you can see from the photos from last year’s paint-out, there will be plenty of room and plenty to paint (or draw, or sketch, or photograph). Bring a stool or chair (the bright yellow wingback will probably already be taken), your painting or drawing supplies, some water and a camera.
There is no fee for admission, but parking is $5. Afterwards, feel free to spend some time wandering the Visitors Center and museums, visiting the Cantigny Shop, or having lunch at the popular Le Jardin. The rain date will be Thursday, May 25, 2017 from 9 am until noon. There is no need to RSVP, but please feel free to contact Jane Kellenberger with any questions. (Nature Artists’ Guild members will find Jane’s contact information in their Yearbook or the Spring edition of The Nature Artists’ Quarterly.)
Please click on any of the highlighted links to learn more about Cantigny Park. Thanks to Jane Kellenberger for the photos from last year’s event.
“Inspiring curiosity about life on earth for more than a century”
Artist-in-Residence Peggy Macnamara has generously invited the Nature Artists’ Guild to a day at the museum, that is The Field Museum, the world-famous museum of natural history on Chicago’s spectacular lakefront.
On Thursday, April 20, 2017, from 10:30 am to 1:30 pm, after a brief but exciting behind-the scenes tour with Peggy, members of the Nature Artists’ Guild will be able to sketch, draw, paint and photograph among the vast collections.
Please click on this link for a fascinating and inspiring article on the museum’s website about Peggy and her work.
Interested members must contact Jane Kellenberger to RSVP for this special event, since Peggy will be providing admission passes to attendees who are not museum members, as well as seating. Jane’s contact information can be found in the Nature Artists’ Guild Yearbook. Further information about parking and the meeting location for entrance will be also be provided. Directions to the museum and parking instructions can be found by clicking on this link to The Field Museum’s website.
This event is limited to members of the Nature Artists’ Guild. Please read more about becoming a member by clicking on the Membership Brochure tab above.
The snowflakes outside remind us that yes, we were fooled once again this year by the recent gorgeous weather. We weren’t the only ones, though. Birds, mammals, bugs and even reptiles have also been out soaking up the sunshine and warm temperatures in the last few days.
Spring will have sprung before we know it, though, and Nature Artists’ Guild members have plenty to keep them busy until it arrives-
- Prospectuses for the Spring Exhibition of Natural History Art at The Morton Arboretum are due on Wednesday, March 1, 2017
- Peggy Macnamara will be the featured speaker at the next Nature Artists’ Guild program from 7 until 9 pm on Thursday, March 2, 2017
- The Jurica-Suchy Nature Museum paint-out will be happening from 1 until 4 on Friday, March 10, 2017
- The wonderful Winter Encounter has one more week to go
- Openings are available for upcoming art classes offered by The Morton Arboretum
- The Spring Exhibition of Natural History Art will be held on the weekend of April 8th and April 9th, 2017 at The Morton Arboretum, with a special artists’ reception for Arboretum members and guests of the artists on Friday, April 7, 2017. Check back soon for more about this event and the exhibition’s Featured Artist, Nancy Wu.
Please click on any of the highlighted links to read more. Some events are open to the public, while others are reserved for members of the Nature Artists’ Guild.